Friday, July 19, 2013

Rodney - a personal tribute

Rodney, you were my big brother, my nemesis, and my hero. You always seemed so brave. It goes without saying you’ve had a profound impact on my life. I loved you and I feared you. You were as quick to hurt as you were to be hurt. So what to say when most of it’s been said...
Our childhood was a funny one. We were typical farm kids. We had animals galore on our little 5 acre lot. Cows, sheep, goats, pigs, chickens, pet cats, pet dogs, and pet rabbits and even a parakeet. And with animals came the need for electric fences. And my brother had this special knack of working out if they were going or not. So it was Rodney mum used to send out to check to see if the electric fence was going – simple – he’d just hang onto it and say “Yep! It’s going.” Or “No it’s not.” None of the rest of us were game for that. And it was a handy trick when it came to our trips to Ted’s farm across the road mushrooming and exploring the shooting range. Just like Mum we’d ask Rodney if the fences were electric…until he worked out how much fun it was to tell us it was off when it was on. Nice!
It's no real surprise that later I screamed and ran when he started chasing me with a Stick Insect or a Praying Mantis yelling “It’s ok! It’s not poisonous!” Not only were they freaking ugly things but they just happened to be in my brother’s hand – I still have a fear of those things today.
The fun we had as kids building tree forts and playing in them with you, Rodney, in the trees out the front. And, later, graduating to castles, in the 2 piles of left-over concrete blocks from building the new house. Forming opposing factions with the Rutters, the Goldings, the Dollimores or any visitors keen for a plum fight or stone fight from the turrets we'd built into them. And learning to ride your motorbike – obviously where I got my love of motorbikes from.
I didn’t realise how strong an impact Rodney had had on me until I started teaching. I remember one of my first lessons at Otaki College as a student teacher – a rough bunch of fourth formers who, after my introduction, proudly stated, “We’re gonna make you cry, Miss.”
“Hah!” I thought, “Bring it on – I came to this school too, and you obviously haven’t had a brother like mine”.
I hadn’t realised until then how he had taught me how to handle whatever came my way and pick myself up, brush myself off and just get on with it. Thus I survived the rough first years of teaching and am now teaching an awesome bunch of fourth formers – or in modern terms “Year 10’s”. We are currently studying the movie 10 Things I Hate About You and I have used this as the inspiration behind my tribute to my brother

“10 things I hated about you”

I hated the way you teased us all and the way you didn’t share.
I hated the way you changed the rules when we played truth and dare
I hated when you tripped or hit me when I beat you in a race
I hated when you hurt yourself and others at our place
I hated how you hurt mum and dad and sometimes made them cry
I hated the way you were so bright but mostly that you didn’t have to try

I hated when you drank too much – even more, that it scared me,
I hated how some friends didn’t understand just how frightening you could be
I hated the migraines that made you sick and totally ruined your eye
I hated that you left us so soon and I didn’t get to say goodbye.

I hated how you had no control and we couldn’t keep you from your fall.
But mostly I hate the way I don't hate you — Not even 
close, not even a little bit, not even at all

No comments:

Post a Comment